Ten apples up on top! by Theo LeSieg

Ten apples up on top! by Theo LeSieg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 59 pages
Published by Beginner Books, 1961

Dr. Seuss' Beginner Books

One of my absolute favourite Seuss books! I read it myself as a child and it went through my boys as being a favourite at one time or another also. This is a perfect one for reading aloud because of the rhythm of the verse. You can have a lot of fun with it. Ten Apples is also very basic reading, simple phonetic words, easiest sight words and plenty of repetition and yet it conveys an exciting story which is continuously in motion. From start to finish there is movement on every page. McKie's illustrations are wonderful as well; large simple, bold black outlines. These capture the reader's attention and his pictures carry the physical energy of the story with little action lines but also effectively using slanting lines to carry the movement across and off the page. A lifetime keeper for the classic Dr. Seuss shelf in my home.




Comments

Popular Posts