The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark

The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I've always wanted to read this author and this is my first book of hers. I wasn't overly impressed, found it slow going for the majority. It's a short book and a fast read and while the first third or so I found quite boring there comes a point when I became interested in how it would all turn out. The author uses foreshadowing throughout though, so it is no great surprise as to the end result. The story is both quaint and quirky, having some humorous moments and the writing is witty. Sparks takes a look at single women in the post-WWII era, where we have some who want to get a man and marriage, others who want independence and a career and others who are lost in a no-man's land. (pun intended) The book's title is even interpreted beyond the obvious meaning. I'd try another of Spark's books and while I'm not immediately "wow"-ed with this one I can see it growing on me.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts