Ghost Walls: The Story of a 17th-Century Colonial Homestead by Sally M Walker

Ghost Walls: The Story of a 17th-Century Colonial Homestead by Sally M Walker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


First off, this isn't about ghosts, hauntings or anything of that nature. I'm fascinated by what a riveting, fast-paced, interesting non-fiction history book this is. Ms. Walker has an excellent storyteller's voice and writes as if she is with the reader telling you first hand a fascinating story she is enthusiastic about. Peppered densely with quotes from contemporary sources such as letters, diaries and court records this book is a history lover's dream. In the beginning the topic was only of general interest to me. My interests in archaeology, architecture and early settlers pointed me towards this book but my main interests lie in the 19th century, while this book tells us the history of 17th century Maryland. A topic I never thought I'd be so enchanted by, the author's skill in research and obvious love for her topic make the reader join her enthusiasm. While the book is recommended for Gr. 4-8 by the publisher, I honestly would not hesitate to say the writing style is mature enough for any teen or adult to thoroughly enjoy. I've added St. John's House to my "list of places to visit someday" and am checking the library for more of Sally M. Walker's books.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts